Cornerstone is an extension to the Android Framework, created by Onskreen, enabling true multi-tasking on Android based devices.
Story behind Cornerstone
As Android exploded and it grew to be used on tablets, the user experience did not evolve to support the richness of the larger screen devices. By default, the user experience designed for 3″ devices were simply blown up to fit on 7 and 10 inch screens. This didn’t take advantage of the larger screen size in any meaningful way, there was just so much more these devices could do.
We created Cornerstone so that Android would truly be optimized for these larger screens and users could multi-task the way they have become used to. Cornerstone was open sourced in Feb 2012.
Onskreen provides software solutions to power exceptional Mobile User Experiences. We work with Mobile Operators and Device Manufacturers to differentiate and customize their Android devices. By open sourcing Cornerstone we hope to enable not only individual enthusiasts to get the most out of their devices, but also companies releasing devices based on Android. Check out the Cornerstone Service and Support Package for organizations using Cornerstone.
Getting Started: Developers Guide
If you are ready to get your hands dirty with some of the Cornerstone code, or to build a ROM including Cornerstone for a new device, keep reading. We are assuming that you are comfortable
- Downloading and building the AOSP source code
- Packaging an Android ROM for a device
If you aren’t familiar with those concepts above there are a number of resources to help you out. The first to start with is the Android Open Source site.
- The Cornerstone release supports Ice Cream Sandwich, version 4.0.3 (AOSP Branch: android-4.0.3_r1).
- The initial push to the open source tree is the v0.85 release of Cornerstone.
We haven’t formalized how contributions and commit privileges back to the repo will be handled just yet.
To make life easy, we have included a patch file in the Downloads Section. This must be run against the AOSP android-4.0.3_r1 branch.
Getting Started: Users Guide
If you are an Android Device user that wants to install Cornerstone on their device, this is the spot for you. But before we get started, you need to be sure you understand a few things
- Cornerstone is an extension to the Android OS, as such you must Flash the Cornerstone ROM onto your device
- Flashing a device could invalidate your device or retailer warranty, so be aware! Onskreen accepts no responsibility for the effects of flashing ROM files on your device
- Be safe – always backup your data before you go through any flashing process
If flashing Android devices is old hat to you, then jump over to download the files you will need and go for it. The details and instructions of flashing a ROM are not included here. So if you’re not familiar with the process, the best thing to do is start with some Google searches to find a tutorial that works for your device and use the Cornerstone ROM of your choice to install.
The Cornerstone release supports Ice Cream Sandwich, version 4.0.3 to be exact.
As part of the open source release, Onskreen has provided a ROM for the Motorola Xoom WiFi Only device (Wingray). This is our official development platform. You can find the files for this here.
If you are trying to flash Cornerstone on a different device a ROM has to be created for it. As members of the Community create ROM files for various devices, you will be able to find them listed in the wiki.
You may like to read this also....
2 Comments to “Multi-tasking on Android based devices”
Search in this website
- sagar on List of all standard version of c language
- Mohit Dhukia on How to access/unblock songs.pk in india?
- shinto peter on How to configure mail from localhost ( wamp ) using PHP?
- tammylleanne on Implementation limitation of c programming language
- Deepak on How to access/unblock songs.pk in india?
Find us on Facebook
Find us on stackoverflow
- Audio/video Recorder & player application based on MATLAB
- check dependency of your binary
- defination of all standard c programming language function
- Great Question-Answer on c programming
- know what your c code means
- Limition of c programming language
- List of all version of c programming language
- Online c compiler
- php freelancing work
- some more stuff on C programming language
- Volatile Keyword in Embedded System
- Write Android application in c language